homepagethe photographerthe detailspricingcontact info

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Post Breastfeeding Days Workout - Raleigh Baby Photographer

I'm sure people reading this will think I'm crazy but I'd gladly return to the days of babies and breastfeeding. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones like Kelly Ripa that shed crazy pounds while breastfeeding. Or maybe it had nothing at all to do with breastfeeding but just the constant motion required when taking care of a newborn and a 14mth old. Maybe I didn't have time to eat, though eating is one of my hobbies, so surely I must have made time to eat.  I forget how it all went down because its already been seven years! Isn't it sad how soon we forget the details of those important days.

Anyway the moral of this post is that I wish I could go back to my post breastfeeding body. Really,  most of my life I've been a size 6-8 but for almost two years right after having my daughters I was wearing size 2 in everything. Oh and of course while I was breastfeeding I even had boobs. How I miss those things.

So now my girls are in first and third grade, life is somewhat calmer, but man I'm getting fat!
I enjoy good food and drink, however I do try to eat a balanced, healthy diet for the most part.  Unfortunately I have a bum knee that I've been struggling to fix the last couple years so my exercise has been limited. The days of lots of squats and lunges are over, running is tough too.
While reading Self magazine the other day I found this workout that the beautiful and very fit Katherine McPhee swears by. I've done it twice and LOVE it.

The hour goes by fast because you are changing it up so much. Its possible to do at home or in the gym, and so far its not killing my joints. They claim it burns 800-1000 calories not sure I buy that but I do have to say I am sweating like a pig and my heart rate is high throughout.  Do note I have yet to be able to jump rope 3 mins. straight. Who knew jump roping would be so hard?


A one-hour kick-ass cardio program with my trainer, Oscar Smith. He says the key is mixing cardio bursts with strength moves to confuse the muscles. Here's the routine:
• 5-minute warm-up run on the treadmill at 6 mph
• Total-body stretches to loosen up
• 10 jumping jacks; 10 push-ups
• Upper-body circuit: Using 5-pound weights, perform 10 one-arm rows; 10 lateral side raises; 10 front raises; 10 biceps curls to an overhead press.
• 5 push-ups; 5 burpees
• 30 seconds of alternating jump lunges
• Run up and down a flight of stairs; repeat twice.
• Pedal on a stationary bike for 5 minutes at resistance 10 or 15.
• 10 jumping jacks; 10 push-ups
• Abs circuit: 10 crunches; 15 crunches with hands under tailbone, curling knees to chest; 15 crunches with legs extended; 15 full sit-ups with feet planted; 30 seconds straight-leg flutter kicks; 30 seconds of leg scissors; hold plank for 15 seconds
• 3-minute run on treadmill at 7 mph
• Repeat abs circuit.
• 10 jumping jacks; 10 push-ups
• Assisted pull-ups: 3 sets of 10 reps
• 3 minutes jumping rope
• Repeat upper-body circuit.
• 3 minutes jumping rope
• 30 seconds hold plank
• Repeat stair run.
• Pull-ups, 3 sets of 6
• 3 minutes on bike at resistance 10
• 10 push-ups
• 3 minutes jumping rope
You're done. Phew!
Left: McPhee's trainer devised her workout to burn 800–1,000 calories and build endurance for long days on-set.





No comments:

Post a Comment