homepagethe photographerthe detailspricingcontact info

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Family Holiday Raleigh Photographer - What should we wear?

Every year the number one question when clients book their holiday session is "What should we wear?" That's always a hard question to answer because there are so many options depending on your family's style and personality. Here is my short list of tips to get you thinking while you are planning outfits for your upcoming session.

#1 Comfort
Pick something you are comfortable in. Dress like you normally would just add a little punch. In your session you won't photograph well all stiff and unnatural so don't show up in high heels and fancy dresses or suit and tie. Pick something you can move in. There won't be too much posing when we shoot. To get those real emotions out we'll be playing around, laying on the ground, getting on each others back, having fun. So with that said I always recommend casual! Especially for kids. Believe me I've seen kids come alive and happy once they've taken their formal attire off!

#2 Color
Add color! I find photos with colorful outfits stand out much more. So don't hesitate to add some color to your wardrobe. You don't have to match everyone, simply coordinate colors. I suggest first picking out the kid's outfits and then pulling colors from theirs to dress the adults.

#3 Layers/Textures
Layers and textures add dimension and appeal to photos. Mix and match jackets, sweaters, and scarves. Its also a great idea to plan for layers as we never know in the Fall what kind of weather we're going to run into. One thing's for certain a cold child is never a happy child.

# 4
Accessories
Fun accessories like hats, jewelry, tights, tutus, funky shoes, boots etc. liven up the photo and add character to your family's photos.

Here is the core of my family's wardrobe. I have two days before the shoot to finish up the accessories, find boots for us, tights and one more scarf for my girls, jewelry for me,maybe a hat for my husband? Guys are always the hardest to accessorize : ) At least I got him wearing purple this year, love it! Oh and we all still need haircuts and some discussion about whether or not to include our crazy dogs. I'm really not use to being on the other side of the camera can you tell?


1 comment: